Awesome review by Serenity Jones!

*This review originally posted here on S.A. Jone's site, but I will post it below as well.

Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Upon Your Return by Marie Lavender

Some of you may recall last month when Marie Lavender stopped by for an interview! If you're a new reader, or just want a refresher, you can find the interview HERE. At that time, Lavender shared about her latest release, Upon Your Return, and I'm here to review that novel today!

~*~

Review of Upon Your Return by Marie Lavender

Our novel opens with Fara Bellamont, a little girl, with some very grown-up thoughts. After losing her parents to tragedy, Fara is sent to live with her uncle who, frankly, I don't like. That's kind of the point, though. He's a retched man who believe rather firmly that women should be seen and not heard, as they are merely objects designated to serve men. It's not said in so many words in the novel, but you get the point.

Young Fara doesn't spend much time in the novel, and for that, I'm rather grateful. Not because I didn't like her, but because the author gets the ball rolling and doesn't waste time on events that could have possibly lost readers. Fara's uncle sends her off to a convent, and we don't see her again until she emerges a stunning, young woman.

There's so much more I'd like to add about the novel right here, especially after Fara meets our leading male, Grant. This is the first time I'm sharing these, but I feel it's the best way to avoid spoilers. I'm going to jump ahead here, and just share some of my personal notes that I make while reading:

Who doesn't love a hero? Fara right of the bat, that's who. You go girl.
Sexy kiss say whaaat? Marry him! (Totally contradicts a couple notes ago, whatever.)
Oh, Grant, you little rebel you.
I would not have made it in 1800s.
That moment when you're not sure if he ran... or was murdered.
One thing that never fails--the French can SO throw a party.
PLOT TWIST!
Still not convinced he's not dead.

Yes, I really wrote all this down. And that doesn't even cover the first hundred pages of the novel. Upon Your Return had me flicking through the pages faster than you can imagine, eager to see what happens next the whole way through the novel. Fara is not your typical female, and while she might be attracted to the leading male, she is not desperately clinging to his every word and action. Likewise, Grant, equally attracted to Fara, may try to win her affections, but his every waking moment is not dedicated to wooing her.

Upon Your Return is everything I had hoped it would be, and more. An excellent piece of historical fiction, with plenty of plot twists and intrigue, making the reader desperate to devour every last bit!

~*~

Buy Your Copy of Upon Your Return


Find Marie Lavender

 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Taking a Break from MLB

Yes, readers, that's right. I'm on hiatus for a while. I know I haven't posted for a bit, and that's really the reason why I...