Interview on Devika Fernando's blog!


Once again, I'm happy to present an interview with one of my talented writer friends. Thank you, Marie Lavender, for taking the time to answer my questions. It's wonderful to learn more about you.

10 questions with Marie Lavender

What do you like most about being a writer?

I love the freedom in writing, the way I can put pen to paper (or fingertips to keyboard) and just let it flow out of me – the words and feelings until I’ve created a scene.  It just feels so right when I’m in the zone.

Do you have any writing rituals?

I do a lot of my best writing at night, unless I’m too tired to finish.  That’s when all of my good ideas come to me.  I write during the day as well, but the main inspiration comes just before I go to sleep.  This, of course, causes a lot of late nights.

What are you currently working on?

I am on a bit of a self-imposed hiatus after working on the sequel to my historical romance for so long (I just received a contract for that and it should be out soon).  This break isn’t lasting very long, however.  Occasionally, I still work on the third book in the series or whatever else strikes my fancy.  I have a lot of works in progress.

Which actor/actress would you like to see playing the lead character from your most recent book?

Tough question.  My most recent book is a paranormal romance called Magick & Moonlight.  I think Rachel Weisz might be a good choice for playing the character of Jessie because of her elegance and those soulful eyes of hers.  As for who would play Ethan?  Maybe Henry Cavill.

If you could have been the original author of any book, what would it have been and why?

I can’t think of any book specifically, but I can think of a poem.  I have always loved Max Ehrmann’s “Desiderata”.  I guess I would like to have been so wise to have written something like that.  It must have taken a lot of life experience to write those profound words.

Paperback or eBook?

Paperback.  I will always prefer the print version of a book to the electronic version.  I guess I am a Luddite that way.  I really like the feel of a book, the exhilaration in flipping through the pages.

Where lies your strength in writing (e.g. descriptions, plot twists, characters, dialog)?

I think maybe characters.  I tend to get into the character’s head a lot.  Dialogue works out fine.  I do struggle with descriptions.  For that, for world building, so to speak, I have to rely on a bit of research to fill in the fine details.  I try to use pictures and write from my impressions for the description of a place.

If you were sent away to a deserted island, what 5 things (yes, 5 instead of 3) would you take with you?

Well, I guess a phone’s out.  No reception.  Just kidding.  I would probably choose a journal (pen included…I need to write stories or I’ll go insane), some lip gloss, a compass (I guess I’d need to know which direction was north), a camera (to document my experience visually).  What did I forget?  Oh, yes!  I am not going to a deserted island alone.  I am dragging my fiancĂ© there to tough it out with me. 

Do you have a strict writing schedule? How do you balance your personal and writing time?

No, I’m pretty casual about it.  If the mood strikes me, I’ll write.  Now, when I really focus on a project, I can get a lot of writing done.  Then I try to work on it every day, even several times a day if possible.  As for balance, I’m not so great at that.  Still trying to figure out how to balance work and a social life.  Sometimes I have to be strict with myself and avoid the computer or anything that would tempt me for a few hours just so I can relax.  I guess you could say I am a bit OCD these days because I have a lot going on as an author.  LOL.

If you could throw a party with any five people (living or dead) who would you pick and why?

I would invite all of my favorite authors, of course:  Nora Roberts, Catherine Coulter, J.R. Ward, P.C. Cast and Chloe Neill.  Because a lot are from different genres, I think that would be a fairly interesting party.  Even if we didn’t talk about writing, I’m sure those women would have a lot to say.

Picture
Upon Your Return - Marie Lavender
Picture
Magick & Moonlight - Marie Lavender

No comments:

Post a Comment

Taking a Break from MLB

Yes, readers, that's right. I'm on hiatus for a while. I know I haven't posted for a bit, and that's really the reason why I...